Sunday, November 30, 2008

"As A Child I Wanted To Be Reba McEntire" ~ Dustin

OK. I created Quarrel and its rules, and I am typically a rule following kind of guy; however, I am going against my norm. I've had a nasty case of writer's block that caused me to go almost two months without writing a poem, which is a crazy-long time for me. Two weeks is the longest period of time I've had to deal with writer's block. So, yes, I'm using writer's block as my excuse as to why I'm posting a poem that doesn't use five words supplied by readers. I feel like a cheat, so no bad-mouthing a rule breaker. My writer's block broke after I watched a Youtube video a week or two ago. This is the first draft of what came from the break of the block:


As A Child I Wanted To Be Reba McEntire

for my Grandmother

Because my grandmother loved to hear Reba sing,
to watch her in music videos, Fancy her favorite.

Because we watched the videos together
and thought her a fiery redhead who could do anything.

Because I wanted to be able to do anything
and everything and my grandmother told me I could.

Because Reba sang Fancy like it was her own story,
and it gave me hope that happy endings do exist.

Because after a song ended, my grandmother would tell me
stories about my mother's childhood, leaving in the dirt.

Because I sang Fancy to my grandmother so she would smile
when she was too sick to get out of bed.

Because when I think of Reba, I think of my grandmother,
and remember I can do can anything.

2 comments:

Kate Evans said...

Hey Rule Breaker!

Love the "because" rhythm and the homage to grandma and Reba combined.

I'm not sure the 3rd stanza is necessary because the poem already implies this throughout.

I tripped on "leaving in the dirt."

Dustin Brookshire said...

Lovely Kate Evans, I blame you for my rule breaking!

Yeah-- I feel you on the 3rd stanza.

The stanza w/ "leaving in the dirt" was a last minute add that is going to need, like other parts, some ironing.

OK. I am going to iron.